Technical assistance for a sustainable and resilient urban development in Vietnam
Adapt to a rapid urban growth and exposed to climate change
In Vietnam, the economic transformation of these past two decades has been accompanied by rapid urban growth and often uncontrolled. At the same time, the country is one of the most vulnerable to climate change. Two realities which have led the Vietnamese Government to wish to the development of a policy of urban development integrating the problems posed by climate change.
Accompany a urban transformation adapted to climate change in Vietnam
In order to respond to the needs expressed by the Ministry of Construction (MoC) and the Agency for Urban Development (UDA), the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has launched a technical assistance for capacity-building intended to assess the institutional and organizational capacities of Vietnam in urban development.
Initiated in October 2016, this technical assistance aims more particularly to:
- Support the Government of Vietnam in the process of integration of the resilience to climate change in its national strategy for urban development (NUDS)
- Develop capacity at the national and local government levels on urban climate change resilience
- Improve coordination within MoC and within the line ministries, agencies, institutes and the local governments involved in urban development and climate change
- Develop a pipeline of investment projects in sustainable and resilient urban development and adelivery mechanism for program lending.
Expertise France as advisor and major actor
Expertise France is responsible for advising the project team of the ADB, which implements technical assistance. The Agency also puts its know-how available to the Vietnamese Government for the advisor in the use of its territory, covering different themes:
- Urban planning,
- Administration and use of land (cadastral)
- Urban development,
- Urbanism, urban resilience and urban policies.
- Assessment Strategy and Roadmap (ASR) on land use planning and administration in Viet Nam.
- Policy Matrix to integrate into the Urban Resilience Investment Framework for land use, identifyingbased on the ASR policy gaps for land use planning and administration.
- Preparation of Guidelines on urban resilient land use planning.